In the Possum room the young toddlers are beginning to become more aware of their surroundings such as learning, exploring and experiencing the world around them though sensory, listening, looking, touching, tasting and mimicking not only the adults but also their siblings and peers.
Our Program aims to reflect the children’s interests, what they know and what they can do. Our planned experiences are flexible to allow the children to engage positively through learning in a meaningful and respectful way.
- All children and educators role model trusting and respectful relationships and we do this through our daily routines and learning experiences.
- We aim to build on and further develop the children’s independence skills. (for example putting plates away after meals and snacks, keeping their drink bottles in the basket, and placing their bag and belongings in their labelled locker)
- We will support and encourage the children to dress and undress themselves at rest/sleep time, e.g. putting clothes in their bed bags, and shoes & socks into our shoe basket.
- We are building strong foundations, preparing the children for this journey we call LIFE.
Components of our program include
- Language development such as reading one-to-one or in groups
- Art work and take home craft for special events that we celebrate (Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Easter etc.)
- Music experiences beyond ‘twinkle twinkle’; specifically incorporating music into our daily routine when transitioning from one setting to another. We also have relaxing music during sleep, as the music helps to prepare the children for the rest of their day.
- Family involvement through family weekend sheets, Centre events and personalised child portfolios
- Self-help skills such as encouraging children to feed themselves